How I determined the Yog's Damage proportions

Legends

A few have asked me how I actually determined the damage types and proportions for the Yogs so I thought I would lay out the specifics here so others can see the math and all the nitty-gritty details if they are interested in that sort of thing.

1. To get the total amount of damage being dealt by a mob.

So first I confronted the Level 5 Yog Tunneller naked to see how much damage it deals when you're not protected at all. I stood there and took blows for a while, healing myself as required so I wouldn't die, and noted the amount of damage from each blow. I didn't write these down or record them in anyway, the only thing I was interested in was the highest and lowest numbers.

You see, a mob's attack is exactly the same as our attack on the mob with a weapon, the damage that will be dealt is going to fall within a range (you see this range when you check Item Info on your weapon), with the lowest number for that range being exactly half of the most damage that can be dealt, or received.

After close to an hour of standing there and paying attention to how much damage was being inflicted on me by the Yog, I was able to determine that the range was right around 8.5 to 17.0 (give or take 0.1), the average of that being 12.5 damage per hit.

2. To isolate which damage types are being dealt by a mob.

I'm skipping ahead a few steps here, basicly I tried a few different things, was able to confirm that the Yog did not deal any Electric damage, then was able to confirm that it also did not deal any Penetration, so I had a hunch that my Goblin armor + Pulsar 8 plates would probably Deflect all damage. So I put my Pulsar 8 plates on my Goblin and went back to the Cave to test it out against the Level 5 Yog Tunneller.

Goblin armor + Pulsar 8 plates provides the following protection
23 Impact
19 Cut
6 Stab
9 Acid

When confronting the Yog with this armor set-up, I was Deflecting all damage every time, meaning the armor+plates absorbed 100% of the damage dealt by the Yog. What this confirmed was that there was no other types of damage, in other words, 100% of the damage dealt by the Level 5 Yog Tunneller had now been narrowed down from the 9 possible damage types in the game, to the 4 damage types that this armor set-up protected me against. Now I just had to figure out in what proportion the Yog dealt the Impact, Cut, Stab and Acid.

3. To determine the portion of Acid the Yogs deal.

In order to determine how much Acid the Yogs deal, I need to isolate this damage type either by protecting only for Acid and not for the other damage types, or protecting for all the other damage types and not for Acid. I found an armor/plate combination that would accomplish the second option.

Firewall armor + Pulsar 8 plates provides the following protection
11 Impact
19 Cut
10 Stab
16 Electric

I knew that the Yogs didn't deal Electric, so didn't need to take that into account when using the Firewall armor. This set-up would block all the Impact, Cut and Stab damage and would only let the Acid damage get through, allowing me to determine the proportion of Acid.

When confronting the Yog with the Firewall set-up, the minimum damage observed getting through was 1.5 and the maximum was 3.0, giving us an average of 2.25 points of damage getting through. Since we know from the testing done with the Goblin armor set-up that the only possible damage types are Impact, Cut, Stab and Acid, and the only thing that the Firewall set-up is not protecting me against is Acid, then the 2.25 of average damage must be Acid.

2.25 of 12.5 is 18%, therefore the portion of Acid damage from the Yog is 18%.
Therefore also, the sum of the Impact/Cut/Stab damage is 82%.

4. Now to determine how much Stab is dealt.

The Gnome armor provides the following protection
11 Impact
4 Cut

When confronting the Yog with the Gnome armor, the minimum damage observed getting through was 4.0 and the maximum was 8.0, giving us an average of 6.0 points of damage getting through. That means the Gnome armor was blocking 6.5 points of damage (since naked average was 12.5, minus 6 = 6.5)

6.5 of 12.5 is 52%, therefore the portion of Impact/Cut damage is 52%
If the Acid damage is 18%, then 100 minus 18, minus 52 = 30%
The proportion of Stab damage dealt is 30%

5. The only thing left to do now is to determine how much of that 52% is Impact damage, and how much is Cut damage.

To do that, we'll just use the Goblin armor without any plates. Since Goblin only protects against Impact and Acid, and we already know the proportion for Acid, we'll just take the total amount of damage blocked, minus the 2.25 of Acid, and that will give us how much Impact the Yog deals.

Goblin armor provides the following protection
12 Impact
9 Acid

When confronting the Yog with the Goblin armor, the minimum damage observed getting through was 5.0 and the maximum was 10.0, giving us an average of 7.5 points of damage getting through. That means the Goblin armor was blocking 5.0 points of damage (since naked average was 12.5, minus 7.5 = 5.0)

If Acid damage is 2.25, then Impact damage is 2.75 (since 5.0 minus 2.25 = 2.75)
2.75 of 12.5 is 22%, Impact damage is 22%!
52 minus 22 = 30, Cut is 30%!

So the breakdown is as follows:

22% Impact
30% Cut
30% Stab
18% Acid

These tests are repeatable and can be verified by anyone by the way.

Also, something like this needs to be done on a Level 6 Yog so we can determine the proportion of Cold.

Cheers o/

Legends

Last edited:
Top Bottom