What's Wrong with this Generation | VERY Enlightening Video

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Community & Media Manager
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
I got really excited about this video after I watched it. Kendra had posted it on her FB page, and when the caption was that the person never finished watching a video this long before, I had to check it out.

When it comes to defining and expressing all of the variables that have an effect on our behaviors, it's quite the challenge. My RL professional background is in mental health, so this video spoke to me in a multitude of ways that just broadened the understanding of what the current generation is experiencing, and it's a shame.

This guy does such a comprehensive and eloquent presentation that (IMO) should inspire you to think from a more critical perspective. Society is so quick to make assumptions and judge from a faulty person perception without a full and complete understanding of situational factors, or the presenting variables, and that too is a shame.

This guy has a sense of humor, but his message is clearly on point.

You may or may not agree, and that's ok ... diverse opinions and perspectives help us to understand too.

I only ask that if you choose to comment, that you keep it constructive. Thank You :)

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
I wasn't aware that checking social media gives a dopamine hit. I hate it when we get together for family holidays, and everyone is looking at their phone. What on earth? Everyone that should be most important to you is right there with you.

The interesting thing is, I remember when there was only dial-up, not sure if there was anything other than AOL, but when you locked into the system, there was this specific sound that confirmed that you were connecting, and you knew that you would soon be in touch with others. It was a "hell ya" moment, and thinking back on it now, I can equate that sound to a rather euphoric feeling of being connected and finding out what was going on.

As technology progressed, and the world wide web opened up, it was exciting beyond anything expected, and we knew that we could be connected with others in an instant, not to mention gaming that appealed to a wide array of consumers.

With online experiences today, it's pretty much taken for granted, and not sure how many consciously tune into how it makes them feel, because I'm guessing that it's rather subliminal given the urgency of being immersed in activities. I totally relish the experiences because ever since I first stepped foot inside of Entropia Universe as my first MMORPG, I have been fascinated and fully immersed. I have tried other MMOs that I have enjoyed very much too, but there's nothing like the types of experiences I have with Entropia Universe. Our globally-diverse community is amazing.

There's so much more I could write, but ya ... dopamine rocks. :p

Chris moneyme mo

Ya I saw that video a little while ago, and ya he nailed it completely. The scary part is 20 years from now when the next generation hits adulthood and their parents teach these problems to their kids. 2 other huge issues. Political correctness and government is getting far too involved with how we raise our kids and what is getting taught. Where I am, new provincial legislation to teach sex-ed to kids as early as grade 3. I'm ok with the fact to teach them, but this is something you teach in high school, not to an 8 year old.

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
Ya I saw that video a little while ago, and ya he nailed it completely. The scary part is 20 years from now when the next generation hits adulthood and their parents teach these problems to their kids. 2 other huge issues. Political correctness and government is getting far too involved with how we raise our kids and what is getting taught. Where I am, new provincial legislation to teach sex-ed to kids as early as grade 3. I'm ok with the fact to teach them, but this is something you teach in high school, not to an 8 year old.

I fully understand your thinking about the sex-ed stuff, but let me bring something to mind that perhaps many may not think about. As we have evolved over the years, body development has changed and children are looking more adult-like at younger ages than ever before. There are many variables that are considered attributable to this factor, but also, each generation brings its own culture based on social impact.

I will tell you that during my psyche studies in the early 90s, I did an internship at the juvenile detention center and counseled children as young as 8. One 9 year old girl was detained for severely beating up her mother, and I also worked with two girls who were both 10 years old and pregnant. Development is more advanced, and some bodies mature quicker than others, which makes it a challenge.

Children are impressionable, and if they aren't getting the attention and care they need while at home, then they will seek it elsewhere. Even if a child has a good home, and parents are more than attentive and do their best to raise their children to know right from wrong and be mindful with decision making, the world outside the front door of their home is seductive.

Developmentally, a child's brain is still physically growing, and reasoning abilities also don't fully develop until into their mid 20s. The teen years are the most tumultuous of all because they are trying on different identities to see what fits and what's comfortable, but this stage of life is also known as a time of decision making for instant gratification without giving thought to future consequences. It's all about what feels good in the moment.

Our social environment can be extremely toxic, we've all seen it, and perhaps some of us even experienced it. I think we become hard pressed at times to give thought to how much in our lives has an affect on us and our decision making.

Developmental and Behavioral Psychology is my specialty, so these kinds of things interest me, as well as our awesome globally-diverse universe, which is an incredible learning environment about how different cultures of the world co-exist, at least in a virtual world.

The Monria community is a beautifully-diverse community with amazing people.:grouphug

Top Bottom