HEADS UP | My power will be uncertain over the next couple of days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Community & Media Manager
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
I am in the path of Topical Storm Elsa in Florida that will be traveling up the West Coast, and just got the following warning at 5:15pm my time on my phone:

National Weather Service:

A STORM SURGE WARNING is in effect for this area for the danger of life-threatening flooding. This warning is issued up to 36 hours before hazardous conditions begin. Urgently complete efforts to protect life and properly. Follow evacuation orders if given for this area to avoid drowning or being cut off from emergency services.​

LOL ... nothing like scaring the crap out of you, but I've lived in Florida a long time and have gone through many hurricane seasons that last from Jun 1st to Nov 30th. I had to evaculate once to my brother's house further North of me because I'm in an evacuation zone, but I'm not anticipating that I'll have to do that this time.

Winds can be up to 65mph with this tropical storm when it hits my area, so that's something to pay attention to for sure.

I just wanted to alert you in case I should end up without power, even though I've been really lucky and have only been without power once for about 2 days many years ago due to a hurricane being close. It's those feeder bands that can cause issues. Otherwise, my power outages have been really brief.

Let's see how this goes ... I'll keep you updated ... and I hope that others who live on the West Coast of Florida do ok too.

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
As an update ... it's 9:45am my time (4 hrs behind game time), and within a couple of hours the rain will pick up and progressively get worse going into the evening and overnight into tomorrow.

They're talking about Elsa strengthening so let's see how that goes. I'll be staying off the computer but will update periodically.

I'll check in later.

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
All County offices are now being shut down to prepare. Power companies will be on standby.

This is normal procedure every year during hurricane season. We've just been lucky where I live, so let's see if that luck holds up this season.

They were saying that if we didn't experience flooding in our area when hurricane Ada went through (whatever year that was, I forget), then we should be ok this round. I'm on the ground floor and I've never experienced any break-through flooding so far, even though I live a mile from the water.

I'm hunkered down and prepared. The worst will be this evening and throughout the night, so I might get a nap in because I don't sleep well through these things.

Same with flying ... I can't sleep because I have to make sure the pilot stays on course. :p

Will check in later.

Eleni Von Estlla

Volunteer Mentor
Yamato Pilot
VCAT Team Member
Toulan Historian
Hope it wont come to use all this end-of-the-world preparations :S
With all that rain, at least, you wont have to water the flowers... If they dont get blown up... Okay, maybe not the right time for a joke...

Hope everything be okay!

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
Oh fun ... Elsa is now nearing hurricane strength, LOL ... tonight is going to be interesting.

I have the weather channel on now for live updates.

Oh ya, forgot ... big potential for tornados too.

Heading off to make popcorn. :p

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
Hey Eleni ... humor is always welcome ... it's a mask I wear at times when I might be a bit stressed or concerned about something.

When I experienced my "Two Steps Away From Death's Door" ordeal in 2011 - 2012, I wrote about it in a very lengthy thread at another forum to help maintain a balance and not lose myself. It's full of humor and I welcomed it.

Of course, that experience can't be compared to any other I've had (well, maybe one a gazillion years ago), so for me, staying connected with the community is always a benefit.

Back to the popcorn ... :hi

Eleni Von Estlla

Volunteer Mentor
Yamato Pilot
VCAT Team Member
Toulan Historian
Ya i tend to do poo jokes when things look bad.
In all seriousness, take care of yourself, and i DO hope you'll still have flowers tomorrow. :)

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
Elsa was upgraded to a Cat 1 hurricane between 8:00 - 8:30pm my time. It's been 118 yrs since any size hurricane has made landfall on the west coast of Florida. It looks like it will do that with Elsa just a bit north of me.

It's going to still be messy, and what they're concerned about most is the storm surge in my area. High tide is coming through again at 3am, but I'm a bit protected by the bay.

The issue will be the constant rainfall tonight (Tues) and throughout Wednesday with thunderstorms.

A critical time is going to be around 5am my time with regard to the storm surge. I have a brother who lives right on the Gulf of Mexico and has a boat he can take out in the channel that leads out into the open waters, so he may have bigger issues. He is about 45 mins NW of me on the other side of the bay.

Here's hoping for the best.

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
Looks like we got lucky in my particular area again with regard to Elsa, probably because we are more shielded from the Gulf of Mexico activity by the Bay, which is directly West of us. I didn't lose power, even though 18,000 customers of my power company lost power in the Bay Area ... I must be living in a magical spot, right? :p

However, the nasty weather isn't over yet ... in about an hour, the thunderstorms start from 4pm - 8pm, and then again from 11pm throughout the night, and our thunderstorms can get violent since we are the lightening capital, so those I don't like much. That's when I have the potential of losing power, so we'll see how the night goes.

Going to check into the game quick to see how things are going, but won't stay too long.

Hope everyone has been doing ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom