A role of Community Manager

• Thread starter Deleted member 9432
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 9432

Code:
[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma]  : if people are advertising in this chat channel, they need to be given the new official Virtualsense [#toulan_trade] channel
[#toulan] [XXX]: why has this new channel been created, there is nothing wrong with #tradetoulan
[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma]  : because all chat/trade channels are now managed by Virtualsense
[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma]  : those that relate to both Monria and Toulan
[#toulan] [XXX]: does not make sense to me as nothing wrong was going on in the other channels, so this is just something to do with control then?
[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma]  : it's a Virtualsense Dev Team decision and it stands, there's no debate
[#toulan] [XXX]: oh that was siplomatic of you dme
[#toulan] [XXX]: diplomatic
[#toulan] [XXX]: think i will just keep using [#tradetoulan]
[#toulan] [XXX]: that sounded very Dictatorship to me and rubbed the wrong way
[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma]  : I gave the reason but you wanted to challenge it
[#toulan] [XXX]: stated a view am i allowed to do that
[#toulan] [XXX]: or am i going to get muted?
[#toulan] [SuperFly]: DM pls explain your position as community manager if we arent allowed to debate with devs
[#toulan] [XXX]: i was trying to understand something and i was told to bad it stands this way. I have always been supportive od VS and then i get this
[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma]  : you can share your view, of course, but it seems after a reason is given it needs to be challenged by some
[#toulan] [XXX]: that was wrong

After this discussion today i have 2 questions to Anthite:
1. What do we need a community manager for if we arent allowed to discuss about new changes made by VS devs? And what are DME responsobilities as a community manager?
2. How can we give a feedback to VS devs if we arent allowed to debate about new changes made by VS devs?

Eugenio Anhithe Wilde

Moon Manager
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
Code:
[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma]  : if people are advertising in this chat channel, they need to be given the new official Virtualsense [#toulan_trade] channel
[#toulan] [XXX]: why has this new channel been created, there is nothing wrong with #tradetoulan
[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma]  : because all chat/trade channels are now managed by Virtualsense
[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma]  : those that relate to both Monria and Toulan
[#toulan] [XXX]: does not make sense to me as nothing wrong was going on in the other channels, so this is just something to do with control then?
[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma]  : it's a Virtualsense Dev Team decision and it stands, there's no debate
[#toulan] [XXX]: oh that was siplomatic of you dme
[#toulan] [XXX]: diplomatic
[#toulan] [XXX]: think i will just keep using [#tradetoulan]
[#toulan] [XXX]: that sounded very Dictatorship to me and rubbed the wrong way
[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma]  : I gave the reason but you wanted to challenge it
[#toulan] [XXX]: stated a view am i allowed to do that
[#toulan] [XXX]: or am i going to get muted?
[#toulan] [SuperFly]: DM pls explain your position as community manager if we arent allowed to debate with devs
[#toulan] [XXX]: i was trying to understand something and i was told to bad it stands this way. I have always been supportive od VS and then i get this
[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma]  : you can share your view, of course, but it seems after a reason is given it needs to be challenged by some
[#toulan] [XXX]: that was wrong

After this discussion today i have 2 questions to Anthite:
1. What do we need a community manager for if we arent allowed to discuss about new changes made by VS devs? And what are DME responsobilities as a community manager?
2. How can we give a feedback to VS devs if we arent allowed to debate about new changes made by VS devs?

Hey Leo,

You're absolutely allowed to discuss new changes made by devs and we welcome it. If I could just explain in simple terms what occurred above. We have a trade channel that is moderated so that if we get complaints of misuse of this trade channel then we can do something about it. That's all this is for. For example if someone starts posting inappropriate chat and we make the decision to mute them, experience tells me that the next thing that happens is they will start posting the same in the trade channels to troll, posting on forums, sharing links in chat etc.

The changes on the chat channels is a response to feedback from many members of the community since we had stopped moderating the chat channels. I didn't make any announcement but since we took over Toulan I wanted to try to see if the community could self police as it consumes a lot of our time, and some people do not want a moderated chat channel. Since then I have had lots of complaints about the chat channels from respected members of the community (old and new). There's been an increase in obscenities, baiting and general trolling. Some players no longer feel comfortable interacting in chat so I feel it's my responsibility to change that, and so we will need to moderate the chat channels.

DME is an official for Virtualsense and her responsibilities as Community Manager are all aspects of in-game activity and community interaction. She has full autonomy and support in this role. I focus mainly on development, marketing and general business. DME is responsible for the community interaction and all initiatives involving the community.

If you're not comfortable providing feedback in chat, just post your feedback here on the forum, it all gets read.

I hope this clears it up.

Thanks
Ant

D

Deleted member 9432

Thanks Ant!

How do you feel if some of the community members (respected ones) be able to moderate #toulan and #monria channels too.
Lets us as a tight community vote for 3-4 respected moderators by a public voting.

Eugenio Anhithe Wilde

Moon Manager
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
Thanks Ant!

How do you feel if some of the community members (respected ones) be able to moderate #toulan and #monria channels too.
Lets us as a tight community vote for 3-4 respected moderators by a public voting.

Nps, I'm ok with whatever DM decides. I'm sure she'll have a think and come up with something that helps us all :)

D

Deleted member 9432

Dont get me wrong but if there is no public control over the judges/moderators - then any regulation turns into dictatorship very quick.

Levi

Monria Citizen
Shop Owner
[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma] : because all chat/trade channels are now managed by Virtualsense
[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma] : those that relate to both Monria and Toulan
[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma] : it's a Virtualsense Dev Team decision and it stands, there's no debate

This was me asking a question and trying to understand what was going on as I have not really seen any issue with the trade channel on tolan so it was not making sense. I asked a question and not for the first time was just shut down.

" You're absolutely allowed to discuss new changes made by devs and we welcome it. " - Sure did not seem that way.

If your explanation above would have been relayed. I would have clapped my hands and said well done.

It was not and from the shut down response I was given made it seem more like Dictatorship was happening.

Eugenio Anhithe Wilde

Moon Manager
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma] : because all chat/trade channels are now managed by Virtualsense
[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma] : those that relate to both Monria and Toulan
[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma] : it's a Virtualsense Dev Team decision and it stands, there's no debate

This was me asking a question and trying to understand what was going on as I have not really seen any issue with the trade channel on tolan so it was not making sense. I asked a question and not for the first time was just shut down.

" You're absolutely allowed to discuss new changes made by devs and we welcome it. " - Sure did not seem that way.

If your explanation above would have been relayed. I would have clapped my hands and said well done.

It was not and from the shut down response I was given made it seem more like Dictatorship was happening.

Hey Levi, think you may have missed this part of the chat.

[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma]: you can share your view, of course, but it seems after a reason is given it needs to be challenged by some
[#toulan] [Levi] : that was wrong
[#toulan] [Clawra]: comply! resistance is futile!
[#toulan] [DarkMoonEnigma]: my apologies if it sounded like I was doing anything other than explaining

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I need to get back to dev stuff or we'll have no content this year :D

Levi

Monria Citizen
Shop Owner
Hey sorry for the late reply.

This is an explanation;

" You're absolutely allowed to discuss new changes made by devs and we welcome it. If I could just explain in simple terms what occurred above. We have a trade channel that is moderated so that if we get complaints of misuse of this trade channel then we can do something about it. That's all this is for. For example if someone starts posting inappropriate chat and we make the decision to mute them, experience tells me that the next thing that happens is they will start posting the same in the trade channels to troll, posting on forums, sharing links in chat etc. "

This is a closed statements, they do not help one understand, they state this is in effect and there is no change or debate (huge difference);

"because all chat/trade channels are now managed by Virtualsense"

"it's a Virtualsense Dev Team decision and it stands, there's no debate"

after these statements where made the apology was meaningless to me as it did not seem there was care to try and help the community to understand.

Sorry if you don't like hearing that but the amount of PM's I got after that from people was crazy about how it was a control issue ect. It would have staggered you, so it seems that explanation did not sit well with a lot of people.

DME is great btw. This not an attack and I am sure after explaining it 30 times to others it gets tiring, but this was the first time I was hearing of it so I asked the one who could provide the best answer and that was DME.

EGROCK

Even contributing to this thread I feel I may be treated differently in game for voicing my opinions but at this point I feel I need to say something..

Firstly, I have no bad feelings towards VS and what you are achieving with both planets, anybody can see that Toulan has grown a lot since you guys took over and I have enjoyed my time working alongside the staff and reps on Toulan and Monria. However, I made the decision this week to leave both Monria and Toulan chats after both reading the new chat moderation post on the forum and a response to something I said in the chat. To further show what I mean here is 2 lines from said situation:

[#toulan] [Drekrin]: still i think this is a game, so it should not feel like i,m at work and have to watch my language:D

[#toulan] [EGROCK]: i do agree with that, this is an 18+ game

I only caught these 2 lines as immediately after I said this I received this PM from DME..

DME.jpg

Now I will reiterate that I have no bad feelings towards VS or what you are achieving, but when I received this PM, where it felt like I was a bad person for voicing my opinion in agreeance with another Toulan community member, I felt very unappreciated and to be very honest I was angry with how this was handled. I hadn't done anything warranting a PM like this, I made a valid point while agreeing with another community member and because I voiced my opinion, automatically I don't support everything you have done for the past 5+ years? And before the part where DME says I am allowed have an opinion is pointed out, I want to believe that I am... but the rest of that message indicates that I cant unless its only me supporting every decision made by VS. I support the majority, but I am allowed to disagree with things if I want and shouldn't be told that my opinion is against everything you've ever done when I do.

As I iterated at the beginning of this post, I am afraid I will be treated differently and if I decide to re-join Monria and Toulan channels that I wont even be able to speak. As this thread is based on moderation of chat channels for both Monria and Toulan, I feel it would be best to leave the chats to the people to govern. As we are primarily adults that play this game, if people are annoyed with someone spamming they have the ability to ignore that user. If moderation is brought in, I myself will not be re-joining both channels and I feel it will be a bad thing for the community. This is a game after all, we are here to have fun. I understand VS is a business but none of us work for VS, we shouldn't feel censored and controlled while chatting to other people. For the most part both chat channels are fine, every now and then there is one or two who push the boundaries and DME does a good job in calming the situation and there are times where I would jump in to help diffuse a situation and steer away from controversial topics when they arise.

I do apologise if any of my views offend anyone but I am a part of the community too, I am allowed to voice my opinion and whatever stems from that will be beyond my control. I am not here to make enemies but I felt the need to speak up on this matter. Thank you

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Community & Media Manager
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
First, I want to apologize to you EGROCK because you didn't deserve the response I gave you, but as close as you have been for a long time, and also a Yamato Pilot, I reacted that quickly because I interpreted your response as not caring that some of our regular community members were moving away from the chat channels because of the disruptions, and I shouldn't have thought that. We have had plenty of disruptions for a while now. Ant mentioned a lot of complaints he got as a result, myself included, which is why the changes were necessary. There is quite a bit of chat log to support that this was happening.

There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes in the game that the general public doesn't see, and doesn't need to see. The goal is to keep the chat channels free from disruption, and that isn't always easy, especially when some want to argue and reject a simple thing like using the trade channels for all buying, selling and advertising. We want to keep the chat channels clear of this because it disrupts normal chat and catching questions and other interactions between community members.

There are also a few who have exhibited bullying behavior toward community members, and this is not acceptable. Our community members don't deserve that either. As Ant mentioned, after we took over Toulan, we wanted to test whether the community could be self-policing, and over time we learned that it didn't work, because some of our community members were staying out of chat as a result of the trolling and rudeness of some who didn't care what they did in our chat channels, and this is something we don't want to happen.

We, as a team, discussed this situation at length before making the decision to add the new #toulan_trade and #virtualsense channels. We also put a protocol in place for how disruptors would be handled, and not something that is dealt with in public chat. We will continue to follow this protocol behind the scenes and not let it become itself a disruptor in the chat channels.

I could have handled the situation in chat better the other day, but it gets a bit overwhelming when after I share the changes and give a normal explanation, that some want to continue debating and challenging it, and at that point, responses become reactionary.

We evaluate community dynamics, and as a team, make decisions that aren't always easy to make, but as we have said from the beginning, community is our primary focus, and we want to continue in that vein and make sure our community members have the type of environment that is conducive to being helpful to each other, especially in our chat/trade channels. We make these decisions as a team because we find a need to. The majority of our community members are very helpful in channels, and have discussions about the game that are beneficial to all. We have always been a welcoming community, but disruptions are not welcome.

I love our community, it's nothing less than amazing. Many volunteer their time and effort to create the kind of community that has helped us evolve over the past 5+ years. I am grateful to you, and to the many I work with as teams to support what we want to accomplish for both Monria and Toulan.

Again, I apologize for not taking more care in my responses, and will work on that. I am splendidly IM-perfect, and a human being who is not only navigating community dynamics, but real life family issues at the moment, so I will do my best to keep the two separate.

Going forward, I will give more thought to a situation in chat before responding, but with regard to the disruptions, they will be handled according to the protocols we have in place in order to attempt to keep our channels free of disruptions.

With regard to additional moderation of our channels, I have had a discussion with Ant and he has made some suggestions which are being considered. An announcement will be made when all of the details have been worked out.

Also, I will not treat anyone any differently because of voicing their opinions. Feedback is always welcome, but once it is clear that the decisions we have made are working ones, continuing to debate or challenging the decisions becomes disruptive.

Thank You :)

Kain Dewey Fall

VCAT Team Member
Would be nice if these people stopped spamming chat about how normal professional actions that support a strong community censors their negative Judgement inside the game that has nothing to do with what is actually going on and everything to do with pushing the buttons of the Entropia Universe ToU...

I don't believe that these are "opinions" as people are portraying it that are being presented...

All games have chat censorship pertaining to "Not coming into someone's game ie(Planet Partner) with the intent of defaming the game or community managers." as well as "refraining from hate speech targeted at particular individuals in a context that could be interpreted as bullying/harassments directly or indirectly"

An opinion involves expressing how you feel about something and how it reflects upon yourself without targeting any other individual, but rather a thing instead. What people keep identifying as "Censorship of opinion" is them proclaiming bullying/harassments and hate speech as well as a mean of defacement against a Planet Partner.

Most games have a Chat Censorship pertaining to refraining from religious or political debate/discussion. You have a particular religion or political view? That is great, we all do. Identify it all you want. Stop demanding to identify others for their political or religious beliefs, that literally doesn't make sense and probably defeats the point of whatever religion or political view you have because you haven't converted anyone by "Expressing your opinion(HateSpeech)" Or "Targeting someone based on personal beliefs(Harassments/defacement)"

The main reason this type of discussion is avoided, including discussion of what your favorite cereal is, is because it creates conflict and sways away from the purpose of the game engine and that is to play the game.

You all believe that VirtualSense, the Partners for Monria and Toulan, shouldn't have control of Toulan or Monria player owned Chat Channels and want to call it a Dictatorship when a Video Game Mod manages the chat channels for their gaming platform...
Well, that is odd but realistic at the same time, I don't see it as insult to injury... But it is redundant to whether or not your allowed to an opinion, thus making it 100% SPAM. Which gets people muted/banned from chats in just about every game in the world.

I came in here telling myself I wasn't going to debate this... lol, That up there ^ that's me cutting it short so that I can get back to enjoying life.

Sorry if I come off wrong or something... Pretty sure these people either ARE or ARE NOT AWARE that they are 100% trolling, generating profanity, creating drama, and disrupting the channels.
I try my best to avoid this kind of chat because a troll is going to troll.
That's why Video Game Mods Mute/Ban these type of people.
It isn't censorship of opinion or a Dictatorship...
It is a means of weeding out the toxic waste so that people can have a healthy gaming experience.
But then again, like I always say...

What do I know?
It seems to me that a Temporary Mute function or Temporary bans may have only recently been introduced to EntropiaUniverse. I am probably wrong, IDK about mutes. I have only ever recognized Perm Bans taking place until this last year with the whole MindArk Only item that was in a players possession.

I want to see the community grow as much as anyone else with the opportunity to express ourselves in a manner that is positively reflecting on the gameplay.

I know people have negative mindsets and it is what keeps them going, but you have to remember that you are talking to people and not robots, even if we are people controls virtual robots. The rules still apply even if you don't want them to.

Also, I am American. So, I might not know what I am talking about. LMAO. <_< What...

Last edited:

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
Do you really believe that the disruptions was the reason for leaving the chats?
No! It's not the reason, bec any1 has "ignore" button.

When you put someone on ignore, it makes it more difficult to follow chat, especially for new players. Also, the feedback that both Ant and I have received, along with chat logs, indicates specifically the reason community members were leaving chats, and it was because of the disruptions. Our community members should not have to put anyone on ignore because of disruptions.

Kain Dewey Fall

VCAT Team Member
Sry mate, but
  • personal attacks on community members and/or Virtualsense staff is not allowed in any of our channels
Be constructive and polite please with the community members and respect the opposite opinion as we do.
I'm not for trolling here.
Why did you take offense to it or take it as a personal attack?
And yet here you are...
Are you proclaiming that you’ve done something wrong or is it something else? Something along the lines of a common troll scenario that in just about all gaming community standards would get a person muted for spam?

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
At this point, I think what needed to be said has been said, and those who wished to express an opinion have done so. Since Dewey and SuperFly are the only ones having an exchange now, I am going to suggest that you take it to PM because it is beginning to derail.

The decision the VS Team made about our in-game chat/trade channels remains the same. My genuine apology for certain statements has been made, as well as what will take place going forward. There is nothing left to discuss about the decision.

I am now closing this thread.

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
Just as an FYI ... posts identified as Deleted Member 9432 were made by SuperFly prior to him asking Ant to delete his forum account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom