Personal Alert | In the Path of Hurricane Ian

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Community & Media Manager
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
Hello Community ... :hi

Just wanted to alert everyone that I am in the path of hurricane Ian in Florida and this isn't looking good at all. I have been in contact with my brother and putting a plan together, but my area has already received a mandatory evacuation notice because we are in Zone A which is close to the water ... he said pack a bag, LOL ... for sure.

ALSO ... I am not going to be able to do ship duties today as a result, but Dea and Eleni are quite capable of managing things without me. The only downside is that there won't be any summons at any of the planet locations. Only a VS Team member can operate the Monria Fleet Manager staff avatar for guest list maintenance and summoning. The other members of the VS Team are not available to step in, as they have their own deadlines to meet.

The Yamato is a Planet Partner-owned Mothership and we do not run a regular warp service like the other warp services do. Our warp services have been more community-driven as it's been from the beginning in Feb 2016 when we operated the service specifically for our Monrian Born as a free space travel benefit. We then extended the free space travel benefit to Monria apartment and shop owners, and eventually to Toulan Born and Toulan apartment, booth and shop owners.

Early on we added a paying passenger fee of 6 ped because there were those who liked that we went to all planets, but any fees collected go directly to the Pilot on duty for each warp schedule. We have very few paying passengers each warp schedule, max has been 3 or 4. VS takes nothing, we just provide the warp drives. We intentionally designed our warp schedule route specifically for our booth and shop owners, and those selling from shopkeepers in their apartments so they could conduct business and be able to catch the final summons at each location. We start at Monria, go to Toulan first to pick them up so they have the same opportunity, and end with another stop at Toulan before heading home to Monria. Like I said, community-driven. :)

At any rate ... if you are still interested in using our warp service today, please connect with Dea and Eleni and they will take care of you, just go to the private Yamato chat channel that all passengers have access to and let them know you want to travel. There will be no summons today unfortunately, and you'll have to fly up to the SS or directly into the Yamato portal. They will keep everyone informed as to what is happening in the Yamato chat channel, as well as on the Shoutbox at the forum.

Hopefully, if all goes well with this hurricane stuff, I'll be back at the computer for Friday's warp schedule. In the meantime, work with each other to accomplish your goals and a big thank you to all who have been so wonderful with your support of your fellow community members ... makes your CM pretty proud. 💜

Nothing like a forced vacation, right? :rolleyes Ant and I are both driven with what we do, so this is a negative.

If I die from boredom, I'll ask my brother to share that news. I blame it on Cthulhu. :grin

I will keep everyone updated as much as possible. :)

I now need to prepare to head to my brother's at some point where I can drive him nuts instead of Ant. :nana

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
UPDATE ... as of this morning, hurricane Ian has shifted a bit to the South and East. That makes it a bit better in my area with regard to storm water surge, but this is still going to be a mess, especially with expecting the system to stall for up to 48 hrs.

There's still going to be a big rainfall dump and that's not good. We'll just have to see how this plays out.

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
Quick update ... the hurricane eyewall is coming on shore now, but it is south of us and so far what we have in our area is heavy winds and rain, and what we most have to be concerned with in our area now is the potential storm surge and heavy rainfall being dumped while Ian makes its way NE across the state.

The center of the hurricane shifted a bit south and east from giving us a direct hit, so we are fortunate in that respect, but not out of the woods yet with regard to any potential damage done from the heavy rain and possible storm surge.

I feel bad for those a bit south, east and northeast of us as this hurricane crosses the state. It's a beast.

I'll check in again when I can.

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
Ian made land fall about 100-150 miles south of us, so we got extremely lucky once again to not get a direct hit. While that part is a blessing, this is a massive hurricane storm system and is doing a lot of damage as it moves across the state from SW to NE.

There is still concern for high winds, storm surge flooding and non-stop heavy rain, especially for those south of us, but we are keeping watch in our area as well for any potential storm surge and flooding because of the heavy rain dump. Through the night and into tomorrow will tell the story.

Don't know when I'll get back home, but might not be until Saturday, will have to see how the road situation is and if it's safe to get there. My brother is about a 45 minute drive north of me and it's ok here so far, except for trees taking a beating.

My brother said that my place should be ok except for palm frons falling from trees, and he's guessing that my power will be on as well because I'm on the same electrical grid as the hospital that's nearby and they try to keep that online. I didn't know that.

Being in Zone A close to a big body of water with Ian at the time heading directly for us, I had to leave, but if I see what I am anticipating I'll see when I get home (hopefully), then I probably could have stayed, but better safe than sorry as they say.

Anyway, I'm typing away here because I'm bored, but you know me ... ever the reporter.

I hate mandatory vacations, just sayin' ...

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
If any of you have seen news or videos/photos from hurricane Ian, then you know Florida is in major disaster conditions. This hurricane was so massive and devastating it broke records.

While (once again) we were fortunate that Ian moved a bit south and east of our area after being in the direct hit path, we still had high winds that threw debris all over the place from trees and other things, and a major heavy rain dump from feeder bands.

Road crews are out today assessing damage and checking for downed power lines and other debris on the roads. If all goes well, I'll be back at it tomorrow.

I hope our other EU Floridians are doing well.

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
Final Update ... I made it home this morning and things were exactly as I expected them to be ... a lot of fallen palm frons in the courtyard and no flooding. I also did not lose power based on the one radio alarm clock I left plugged in without the battery backup. If I had, the time would have been wonky, so I ended up once again being very fortunate that we weren't in the direct hit path of Ian and that it shifted south and east of us. The water was actually drawn out because of how the wind patterns were circling around us and we ended up not experiencing the nasty high-level storm surge that counties did south and east of us. My heart goes out to them because it's a mess.

The luck continues, because our area hasn't taken a direct hit from a hurricane since 1921, but with weather patterns changing, I wonder how much longer that's going to last. Hurricane season isn't over yet either, it ends Nov 30th.

I hope our other EU Floridians who experienced this hurricane are doing well.

I'm heading into EU for a bit before ship duties, and then tomorrow it's back to finishing up on the Sep VS Quarterly magazine with Shadow so that we can get it published soon.

Top Bottom