I havent been to Toulan...

McCormick[L]

...because what I have seen and been told so far, didnt really enable the "I need to see that planet!" in my avatar.
And I have been to all planets by now, except for Monria.

I like your Elder Coat and got myself one of it. I really like it.

I wonder what those symbols on it might mean.

coat symbols.jpg

What I also liked was your "LifeScanner". Just because it was emitting funky green lights. Too bad it turned into a limited item, just like everything else.

If someone still has an unlimited version, please feel free to contact me. :p

When I read bout NAWA I was believing, or shall I say hoping, all your items (weapons, tools pets and future vehicles)
would be NAWA operated only. Making it hard to impossible to use them on other planets. (universal ammo)

NAWA would have become the most traded space good ever, if you would offer great items.
I bet MindArk would have shown a big STOP sign anyway.

I would have simply loved this idea. Too bad.

I know you guys just started, but I had big hopes for Planet Cyrene as well back then. It feels dead. All forums feel dead.
I never believed in Next Island. Rocktropia isnt my theme (and its dead empty as well) and only Arkadia feels like beeing active right now.

Dont get me wrong, but to me Toulan does not (yet) feel like THE (very 1st) arabian nights MMO the world was waiting for. The announcement felt like it. (to me) Even if I wasnt sure it would fill this niche and lure in all the arabian-nights fans out there.

Cyrene wanted to be...I dont know...it came with the word "Creative Kingdom" attached to it.
The initial announcement felt awesome. Now its shrinking. Not sure what to think of it anymore.

Rocktropia wanted to accomodate stars like Lemmy Kilmister and Kevin Rudolf.
I bet these guys are not playing. Rocktropis shrinked as well.

Next Island was trying to be...time travel.
Old greek was fun...for one single visit.
The initial announcement felt strange and wrong. The company behind it has left long ago.

Arkadia was trying to be the "treasure hunting" planet.
The treasures arent that special and just like Calypso does now, Arkadia means mass events, missions and instances.
But its nice to be there...sometimes.

Planet Michael Jackson & Co. aka. Neverdie...canceled after SEE and MindArk choosed to NOT to stay friends.

Theryon Wars...was canceled.

European Space Agency...canceled.

Monria...lets skip this investor thing for now.
In the end its just another Crystal Palace Space Station...with appartments. (to me)

David Simmonds once was talking about true diversity...I dont feel diversity in this virtual universe (anymore).
But I love your coat and I want your scanner. But that shouldnt be everything Id enjoy about Toulan, should it ?

So when you guys showed up back then, I wasnt sure what to think about Toulan.
Im still not sure what to think about it and I see no reason to travel there.

If the NAWA idea would have kicked in, I might have followed you from the beginning,
but I fail to see what would be the true diversity on your "planet", in combination with arabic nights and a real-cash-economy.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope your planet will be in the news one day, making me wish I want to be there...

mastermesh

Just landed...

I just landed on toulan yesteday. I'm slowly working on exploring every planet a while just for the heck of it... re-buying the blueprint books from each planet since some of the bps that didn't used to be in the technicians are now, and since I tted my last batch of books from a few months ago... not gonna do that again....

exploring each planet to determine which to live on. Too many bad memories from Calypso haunts me from my estate ownership days and being in a society there run by a scammer that claims not to be a scammer... Rocktropia is ok since the oil rig there is pretty empty in the arctic, but it gets boring after a while... cyrene is still highly underdeveloped as the pay 500k lime green tokens (which have tt value equal to sweat instead of OIL I believe, making the TT value of the drops in the pvp zone worth less than on any other planet (kegs even have more tt value?)?) for a coat just so you can open up a new storyline thing that you don't need at the moment since the mob that that storyline gets you to is spawning on it's own every 2 hours now is a bit nuts.... (Cyrene's idea of using more sweat in crafting is a pretty neat idea, but I'm not sure if it helps anything other than give crafters more headaches than the losses on stuff like explosive blueprints do?)

Monria is ok, but it's like a copy/paste of the arkadia underground... also crafting there sucks since it's considered to be on calypso so all the looted bps end up being clones of calypso crap mostly, making the daily mission for crafting there almost impossible to finish since you can't loot the 2 or three bps you need to loot to complete that quest unless you were lucky enough to be there the first month or so.... I wasn't...

On the trip to toulan I stopped by the Howling mine... TT and TP there don't work... Toulan devs, you might want to get Mindark to fix that soon and put an auction in there since space pirates could potentially trap folks coming in to your neighborhood there and they might be stuck with no way to buy new ships from auction to get to you if they are stuck on the side of the road... You also might want to strengthen your revive or have MA remove the revive there and just leave your space station's one since it seems that the revive on the mine pulls you in from your orbit even if you are just a tad closer to your planet than to the mine... I can't remember the actual distance left, but I got sucked in to that blasted place when I was just about to enter your space station when I logged off on accident (I think I was less than 2k au left to your doorstep at the time it happened?)... pretty darn annoying.

Toulan has an interesting landscape. I love the dam. However, it feels like a wasted bunch of space somewhat... all that water... cliff diving there is nice though... would be nice if you could do quests on that dam with npcs that move as the engine changes, like what happens in neverwinter... this dam pathway reminds me a lot of the drawbridge scenes in that game... or of something like the scenes in other mmos where the army from one side of the river gets pushed backwards by the other side for several scenes and finally a big battle in that little corridor happens... I guess specially placed instances and npcs in those instances along the dam's center area might make it possible... just something to consider... The small area of the map might also make it neat to do something like a timed quest to find all of a certain thing like a scavanger hunt or qust to defuse a bunch of bombs left by someone or something?... with ultimate last few scenes on that dam?

The whole planet being on one server makes it very small... but since there's no vehicles that's not too big of a problem. Arkadia may be 5 times bigger, and rocktropia shrunk to do similar a while back, but who cares since most of those big servers were wasted space that was completely empty... this lots of content on a small server is nice... makes the place seem more alive like old days of PE. HOWEVER, you should seriously optimize that view distance of some stuff as it's very annoying seeing stuff like the waterfall from a long ways away but not the mountains holding up that thing... you have a lot of oddball stuff going on like that. The misty effects do help a little but they don't hide enough to make it not be noticible what is going on, especially on lower graphics settings.

the walls around at least one of the cities seems like a copy/paste of what is going on on Cyrene? However, here it works since the landscape justifies it. There it's just blam, some wall put here in the middle of nowhere for no reason except to keep mob from crossing it to get in the city.

Most of the architecture on Toulan seems interesting, but it's very limited since it's so small... increase some city's sizes to make em sprawling kingdoms like what Port Atlantis is on Calypso... Have you ever played the Prince of Persia games? Have you looked at stuff like the Mario VR instance on Cyrene? With the small size of the server, some instances and/or cities that complex type of paths in 3d stuff could be interesting... Remember that a 3d game engine has THREE dimensions you can and should utilize, not just 2. https://youtu.be/-myUWSzfK_M

https://youtu.be/vWi5HvM5Uus

I'll be staying here for at least a month or so... may follow up with more later.

Last edited:

Nor Alien

Awesome insights. I like the constructive posts! Some great suggestions.

I like the idea of Nawa from McCormick and agree it would be a great separation from the other planets! :eek:

More 3D would be great as well! ;)

As I have not been to Toulan myself, I'm looking forward to it. Always loved the Arabian theme! :) I'm just making my way here via Monria. Once I'm done a few missions there, I'll be here to spend some quality time! :D

Keep up the great work Toulan Team! :)

McCormick[L]

The feeling of traveling to "another planet" already got lost with Next Island. FarCryEngine couldnt have been introduced anymore obvious with this "planet". ;O

I sense FarCry a lot on the planets. Water, Palmtrees, Volcano, Desert, Ice world etc.

Empty buildings are a standard inside of Entropia. Most cant even be entered.
Port Atlantis is big and empty. I wonder how Hadesheim would have felt with all the malls and trading shops.
Interstellar Space Port with races from...ah, nevermind.

"Quests" (missions), that were never ever planned, suddenly became part of Entropia.
I like some quests (missions), but I wasnt expecting them to happen at all. (MMO standard)

For now the difference between planets is different mobs and various designs of the landscape.
Lysterium everywhere.

And the spreading of the already small userbase via so many different forums is also something that wont help "to stay togteher as a community". (imho)
If thats the diversity Mr. Simmonds was talking about, then it didnt work out properly.

Old Calypso was made out of many small, lovely details. The "new" one feels like Mr. RandomGenerator did 80% of the work. And it is empty. Empty since 2004. But the small community of 2004 felt different.

I can wait. Im waiting for 11 years now.

Spawn

The feeling of traveling to "another planet" already got lost with Next Island. FarCryEngine couldnt have been introduced anymore obvious with this "planet". ;O

I sense FarCry a lot on the planets. Water, Palmtrees, Volcano, Desert, Ice world etc.

Empty buildings are a standard inside of Entropia. Most cant even be entered.
Port Atlantis is big and empty. I wonder how Hadesheim would have felt with all the malls and trading shops.
Interstellar Space Port with races from...ah, nevermind.

"Quests" (missions), that were never ever planned, suddenly became part of Entropia.
I like some quests (missions), but I wasnt expecting them to happen at all. (MMO standard)

For now the difference between planets is different mobs and various designs of the landscape.
Lysterium everywhere.

And the spreading of the already small userbase via so many different forums is also something that wont help "to stay togteher as a community". (imho)
If thats the diversity Mr. Simmonds was talking about, then it didnt work out properly.

Old Calypso was made out of many small, lovely details. The "new" one feels like Mr. RandomGenerator did 80% of the work. And it is empty. Empty since 2004. But the small community of 2004 felt different.

I can wait. Im waiting for 11 years now.

Ok. then wait.

or..... for once.. do the unimaginable and visit the damn planet and have some fun.

McCormick[L]

Dear Spawn, its videos like this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSbWLmLEKds

Sound effects from Calypso mobs, "tree" models close to Calypso design. Volcanos, desert, iceworld, empty buildings with no interaction.
Noone around except for the "standard" avatars.

The same effect could be felt on Cyrene, Next Island and Rocktropia.
If you have fun seeing some snow, ignoring the little details of "lent" sound effects and 3d models...then continue to do so.

And now allow me to put you to ignore, my sweet little Stalker.

Top Bottom