Ready Player One | Update 3

Eugenio Anhithe Wilde

Moon Manager
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
It's a great book by Ernest Kleine and I would recommend everyone who is a gamer at heart to go read it. There are many classic lines and one that resonates with me is below, my favorite relates to glass houses but I'll leave that one for google :p

“You'd be amazed how much research you can get done when you have no life whatsoever.”

I'll get back to that quote but I wanted to share a little more of my vision and what we're about. I started my business a few years ago as an experiment to try and build a business out of a game. I told some friends, I wasn't quite ridiculed but I think we all at some point face the possibility that this might not be quite normal. You're having lunch, sharing plans for the weekend and one person is taking the kids to tennis and the other is having friends over for lunch. "Oh me, I have a busy one, we've got to do the space run, there could be pirates and there's some strange cultist activity in the West Crater" (shameless plug). So first and foremost we're players, we're here to have fun, we want to join in on events, compete against you (yes that means you @Crazyshadow ) and be a part of the community we're trying to create. This means we want events, we want prizes, we want you the community to be involved and if you have something you want to do then we will try to support it as long as it's not completely out there!

I honestly thought that doing this would be an uphill battle. This is why my family is involved (including my two wives :p) because I need people that I know have my back. The thing that I didn't expect was the response, the kind words and messages of support both from people I've known for years and people I've never met. I want to say thank you to everyone for the amazing support and it gives me great confidence going forward because so many of you feel the same way I do.

Getting back to that quote, I've been around EU for a while and also on the forums. To be honest I was never overly active because of well trolls tbh. The google searching, multi quoting machines that know so much about me yet never bother to get to know me. I wouldn't normally even bother wasting my energy with this but I have had a few concerns raised to me by the only people that matter in this whole equation which is the Monrian community.

So to the Monrian community.

The purpose of this forum is for us to be able to communicate with each other, for you to have a safe environment to express yourself and for us to announce things, share events and for us all to get to know each other. I don't believe in censorship and I'm not going to waste my time on a 14 point rules of forum wall of text so that I can give you a slap on the wrist because you violated 2.8. Saying that, if someone came into my home and was rude to my family and proceeded to tell me that they don't like my curtains I would just tell them to leave. I will do my best to preserve the spirit of our home, unfortunately some people do nasty better than others and as we grow I may have to make some tough decisions. These decisions will reflect on me and nobody else as I don't want anyone in my team having to waste their time on this kind of nonsense. I'm saying it up front and early in the interests of transparency and I'll make mistakes in how I handle this so sorry in advance because I'm not going to hide behind a rule book.

To those consumed by negativity and who have the time to do lots of research this probably isn't the place for you. Also in the interests of brevity I once had a myspace, there's people in the world who don't like me very much, I was late paying my tax in 2013 and I honestly had nothing to do with Roswell. I'm just a guy who bought a moon and is trying to do his own thing.

To the updates :)

Marketing
  • For the month of December we saw a 25% increase in the total number of sign ups. There is a low conversion between sign ups and active players so I will need to work on this by making Monria a vibrant place for new players and looking at the conversions to figure out how to appeal to the kind of people like us.
  • Monria.com traffic is showing about a 1400% increase in traffic with 82% of new users.
  • We did a mix of marketing through different channels and have been steadily reducing the cost per click and A/B testing has told us what we should definately not do :p
  • We will be looking at re marketing approaches next.
  • New Facebook page we set up has nearly a 1000 likes mostly via targeting people who like MMORPGS and we are currently at a 10k post reach
  • we have lots more back-links and indexed pages
  • There is still loads to do here and this is not where I want it but up is better than down :)
Community Initiatives
  • DM will update herself but there's fantastic work being done here :)
  • I have been working with Mindark on future events and tomorrow will see the start of regular hunting and mining events
Development
  • I have had a series of meetings with Mindark and have been working closely with the team on a development plan. I've also met a fair few of the guys from web, engineering & management and I'm enjoying working with them.
  • The web guys gave us the client loader update so we can control content and even had a bit of fun with the pirate post on Entropia Universe
  • Our first VU has been scheduled with some development, tweaks and a few bug fixes...
  • We are working closely and are looking into some ideas I have for future development and I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck
  • I have received great feedback from the guys at Mindark on what we're doing and I feel we have a strong partnership that will serve us well going forward.
That's all Folks

Ant

Last edited:

Sholle Von Cartiz

1st. rep+ for thread and Ant thank you for updates and letting us know how the things are going, wish you all best in future!

2nd. Ready Player One - awesome awesome Book, I listen the audio version 16 hours while mining :). it can be found on torrents for download ^^, i recommend to everyone to read/listen that book as that will be our future :)

toecutter

Great post Anhithe!

You seem to have a pragmatic view on how to handle things and I can definitely relate to your stance regarding posting on forums & such, that with a combination of having the patience of an angel, I´m confident that you will accomplish greatness here!

Cheers! :cheers

p.s. also +rep to Sholle for the torrent tip, definitely gonna check that out!

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Community & Media Manager
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
Great update Ant. I always love your title lead-ins, it makes it more interesting. :)

And you're right, I'll be doing my update as well, and will most likely be posting it soon.

You were quick to do your first two updates, and once I caught up with your second one, I decided that I would time mine to be published when you did yours. :D

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
What I find amazing in a globally-diverse community, is just how much we really do relate to each other in ways that perhaps are not expected. There's a commonality that surpasses unique cultures and language barriers, and more often than not, an offered respect in the face of differences that connect us with universal goals.

The Monrian community is no different than the vast universe that we inhabit, although we may be a bit more like a family environment given our goals. We will treat all who join us with decency and respect, and make every effort to not only elevate the Monrian experience to a greater degree of satisfaction, but also support a greater degree of family success. The community is our most important focus, and it will remain so.

I believe that our efforts in how we treat our Monrian family has everything to do with how they treat us, both on the Moon, and in this forum environment. Therefore, there is a level of faith that there will be minimal disruptions, but also a strong commitment toward making sure those who want to be here and support our efforts, are in kind supported.

All that is code for -- we don't need no stinkin' rules, because we got this. :D

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
Since Ant referenced the "Ready Player One" book in this Progress Update in January of 2016, I thought it only fitting to share the new movie trailer. I think he and his family might have seen the movie this past weekend, so it would be cool to get a report on what he thought of it and whether it did the book justice or not.

However, you can't go wrong with a Stephen Spielberg movie. :D

SachemUrsa

I honestly thought that doing this would be an uphill battle. This is why my family is involved (including my two wives :p) because I need people that I know have my back. The thing that I didn't expect was the response, the kind words and messages of support both from people I've known for years and people I've never met. I want to say thank you to everyone for the amazing support and it gives me great confidence going forward because so many of you feel the same way I do.

Ant, it is your enthusiasm and you and your teams interactions with the player base that make Monria a great place to play, and makes played optimistic about what is to come.

I do not get this involved in games, I do not post on forums, make storylines, suggestions, etc. for any other game I have played. On most games such activities is a waste of time, but Monria is different. It is all thanks to you and your team, keep up the good work :)

Zarnia Foxtrot

Volunteer Mentor
Just watched the trailer clip above..It does sound alot like Entropia and Monria..:)...Well, I don't know the legalities involved but have you (ANT/DME) considered asking some established players of Monria to do some RL events to advertize Monria?..It seems you have one or two main advertising events but there are probably others out there in the real world that still haven't been used yet. I'll help if there is some kind of advertising campaign/platform near me in Pennsylvania. And, yes, I just jumped of the pier with that..lol...and no sharks in sight yet. And I will just keep swimming..swimming..swimming..(yep, my son loves watching Finding Nemo over and over and over again)..

Anyways, I know you have business guidelines to operate in and I have no idea what they are but I know most Monrians who have been in a while love the game and would probably enjoy the chance to help Monria progress.

Just sharing my thoughts here...I look forward to some of the new changes already mentioned..:)

Top Bottom